Our 1BlueString campaign is simple. We are asking guitarists at all levels to replace their low E guitar string (one of six strings) with one of our free, blue guitar string to symbolize the 1 in 6 men who have had unwanted or abusive sexual experiences in childhood.
Simply go to 1BlueString.org and register to receive free blue strings (acoustic or electric) and free picks. Send us your name and address and we’ll rush them to you—at no cost.
In return, we’re asking that you:
- Play with 1BlueString, sharing the statistic that 1 in 6 men in the U.S. have faced unwanted or abusive sexual experiences before the age of 18.
- Share photos. If you feel comfortable, please upload a photo showing you and your blue string at 1BlueString.org. This is the engine for our campaign. Then click to share via Facebook, Twitter or Google+ to let others see your support.
- Share our resources. Nearly 19 million men in the U.S. have unwanted or abusive sexual experiences in their past and some are in need of support. 1in6.org is the most comprehensive site in the world, providing unparalleled resources for men and their loved ones. Please do whatever you can to let others know about this incredible resource.
- Promote holiday giving that supports our efforts. 1in6 has a text-2-give number set up for micro-donations to support our work. You and others can text “STRING” to 80888 to make a $10 donation, or just direct people to the donate page at 1BlueString.org where you can make a donation of any amount.
Thank you for helping to raise awareness of the 1 in 6.
1in6′s mission also includes serving family members, friends and partners by providing information and support resources on the web and in the community.
The views expressed above are not necessarily those of Joyful Heart or 1in6.
“If you send out goodness from yourself, or if you share that which is happy or good within you, it will all come back to you multiplied ten thousand times. In the kingdom of love there is no competition; there is no possessiveness or control. The more love you give away, the more love you will have.”
–John O’Donohue, Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
Today, we have the first post in a new mini-series from Brynn Foster. Brynn shares her joyful heart with us, as well as her tips and tricks on being well, from Honolulu, Hawai‘i. Brynn has been involved with Joyful Heart for years as a member of the Hawai‘i Hearts, a group of volunteer women who raise awareness and funds for Joyful Heart’s work in Hawai‘i, our birthplace. Recently, Brynn shared her time and talents as a Co-Chair of Joyful Heart’s inaugural Hawai‘i Gala, the Joyful Mele.
In addition to sharing her fearless and unwavering support with Joyful Heart, Brynn also shares her great knowledge of and passion for nutritious, earth-friendly and local foods through her company, Voyaging Foods. But more than anything, Brynn believes that one person can make a difference, whether in her community, within her family or on this earth. It’s not so different from the idea of the One Strong ‘Ohana campaign to prevent child abuse and neglect—that one person’s actions can make a big difference, for our homes and communities. This idea is what brought Brynn to Joyful Heart and to the blog. So today, she kicks off her new mini-series with the aim bringing our wellness practices back to basics of helping and supporting each other. Keep an eye out for her posts about once a month, through which she’ll be sharing recipes, activities to do with our families, practices to care for ourselves and healthy tips for being well. Welcome, Brynn!
Summer has ended and fall is a welcome retreat. But as a mom, it’s impossible to forget that Halloween is just around the corner, which means costumes, parties and trick or treating with the kids. And with school in full swing, it can be easy to forget to take a time-out for ourselves. So give this to someone you love as a thoughtful autumn treat or better yet treat yourself! It’s a homemade body scrub made out of basic, all-natural ingredients that you likely have around the house already: salt, sugar, oil and warm water. Made with love, here it is:
Sugar Body Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup turbinado (raw sugar) or light brown sugar
- ¼ cups avocado, jojoba oil, vitamin E, or coconut oil
- ¼ cup sea salt
- Essential oil (I prefer vanilla)
- Honey for smoothing the texture